Bonas MacFarlane has been a pioneer of American Universities admissions since the 1990s. In 1998, founder Charles Bonas created the first American college application programme that fully integrated with the British sixth form curriculum. Just one year later our first student was accepted to Harvard.
Since then, we’ve partnered with former US deans and heads of admissions at Ivy League universities, as well as US consulting agency American Education Experts, to create a rigorous US college consulting service with offices in London and New York.
Your questions answered:
- Higher education in America, as opposed to in Britain or abroad, is focused around the “liberal arts”. The ancient Greeks considered the liberal arts to be the ultimate mark of an educated person.
- As opposed to reading one subject, students at US colleges enjoy a truly interdisciplinary education encompassing the humanities as well social, natural, and formal sciences.
- A four year liberal arts degree aims to provide a broader spectrum of knowledge and skills than could be attained through the study of just one subject. Students can read Shakespeare alongside their Biochemistry course, or study Economics and International Relations in parallel.
- In an increasingly globalized world, America’s higher education leads the way in training students to be flexible, critical thinkers and modern leaders.
- Every successful application has an edge, a differentiator, which makes it stand out from the crowd. An admissions officer will only have a few minutes to present their favorite applicants to the broader admissions committee, and in that time the student’s application must prove that they will be an amazing contributor to college life.
- Beyond impressive statistics, students must demonstrate an intellectual hunger and a drive to make the most of the incredible resources offered at US universities.
- If a real enthusiasm for liberal arts education does not shine through, the student will not get in.
- Our job is to help students express this enthusiasm across an application. We help students discover and develop their edge.
- American families have used professional college consultants for decades. The US admissions process is highly competitive and complex.
- While many companies rely on recent US graduates, our professional consultants have decades of experience and have overseen hundreds of successful applications.
- School counselors don’t have time to spend months looking at US colleges. Our consultants have expert knowledge of US universities and their courses. We know how to match students to schools where they will thrive, and we know what those schools are looking for.
- We can arrange private university tours, including one-on-one meetings with department heads, admissions officers, sports teams and musical groups.
- We are experts in the British education system and in helping students change from one education system to another. We understand which schools appeal to international students and how to translate an international resume to a successful US application. Whereas most US consulting companies have only recently started working with international students, we have more than two decades of experience. Our long relationship with UK and international schools helps us to get the best academic references for our students.
- Our US Admissions is very much a continuation of the tutoring and placement work we do throughout a child’s academic life. We work with long-term students throughout senior school helping them to develop their “edge” - whether it’s a style of writing, a particular intellectual interest, or a long-term research project. We also organize summer programmes, assist with internship placements, and support students academically.
- This level of support and involvement cannot be achieved by an itinerant consultant who drops in to London from time to time, or one who delegates work to an inexperienced graduate student.
- We pride ourselves on building a deep relationship with a child, understanding their school life and family culture, so that we can bring out their full personality and potential in an application.
- For this reason, we keep a highly selective and limited list of students to ensure that each student receives the attention they deserve.
- There is no such thing as a “special relationship” between a counsellor and a college admissions department.
- Any professional counsellor, ours included, will be treated in the same way by colleges.
- At Bonas Macfarlane, we have always prided ourselves on our transparency. Our goal is to help students develop their passions and guide them
We have helped hundreds of students gain acceptance to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, Columbia, Duke, Brown, Dartmouth, NYU and many other top universities.